FOR OUR GUESTS WITH PETS
Welcome to Asheville Swiss Chalets your Pet-Friendly place to stay in Asheville where your pet is treated as a special guest. We’ve compiled a list of travel guides and pet friendly places and attractions in Asheville to assist you in making your stay here as fun as possible.
Online pet-friendly guides that will lead you to some of the best pet-friendly destinations in Asheville.
DOGGY DAY CARES
All of these have been in the area awhile. The first one is closest to the chalets. I’ve not used them but they are all privately owned and have good reviews.
- At Play with Sparky: Near Biltmore estate entrance and closest to the chalets.
- Dog House Doggie Daycare: By the French Broad river between Biltmore Estate & downtown.
- You Work I Play: On Brevard Rd, furthest from chalets.
This list of restaurants has outdoor seating where you can usually take your pet, weather permitting.
Pet Friendly web page http://www.bringfido.com/restaurant/city/asheville_nc_us/
Judy’s Well-Bred Bakery & Cafe – Exceptional Handcrafted Edibles – in two locations – the Original bakery in Weaverville, and the new Biltmore Village location. Your pet is always welcome to join you outside. At both Well-Bred locations you’ll discover unexpected delights both sweet and savory. Gourmet pastries, fine foods and fabulous breakfast treats plus luscious coffees for every eclectic taste.
The Battery Park Book Exchange & Champagne Bar, while not a restaurant is a destination not to be missed for pet owners who love books and a fine ambiance environment and want to bring their pet. http://www.batteryparkbookexchange.com
This is a classy bookstore in downtown Asheville that also offers a selection of champagnes, fine wines, and coffees. Dogs are welcome INSIDE throughout the shop, so bring Fido along while you browse the stacks and sip a delicious glass of wine.
- French Broad River Park – One of Asheville’s most beautiful parks, it has a one acre fenced and wood chipped area for off-leash dogs. Water and poop bags provided. The park also features a vast area of open green space with old trees, a wildflower garden, a paved trail, a gazebo, picnic tables and grills, an observation deck, and a small playground. Located at Amboy Rd. and Riverview Dr. in west Asheville, not too far from Biltmore Estate. From the Biltmore Village area, take a left on Meadow Drive off of Biltmore Ave.
- Azalea Dog Park in Asheville is part of a 155-acre park and has been developed as one of Asheville’s top parks. The dog park features two fenced-in areas, one for smaller dogs and one for larger dogs, separated by a gate. Be sure to bring your own water. The dog park adjoins a pond and a small grassy area with a few picnic tables, and there are a few hiking trails close by as well.
Directions: Use Exit 8 off of Route 240 and follow signs for the WNC Nature Center. The park is at 395 Azalea Road, a few miles past the WNC Nature Center. Continue on Azalea Road past all the soccer fields and the dog park will be on the left.
HIKING WITH YOUR PET
- Bent Creek Experimental Forest – Easily accessible via the Blue Ridge Parkway and not far from I-26 it is a true natural gem. The forest is right off Brevard Road (Rt. 191) south of Asheville. It encompasses nearly 6,000 acres of forest and streams, is home to the North Carolina Arboretum, and includes the Lake Powhatan recreational area (swimming, fishing and camping).Bent Creek is also as close as you can get to doggie heaven; and oh so close to town. There are miles and miles of trails appropriate for hiking and biking. Bent Creek has a trail that takes you around Lake Powhatan which has a swimming area and dogs love it!
There are numerous shops that you can visit that provide pet treats and accessories.
- Three Dog Bakery – Where you can buy great healthy treats for your pup. 828-252-1818
- Waggers Dog Depot – They offer a delicious variety of homemade treats & chews, dog clothing, collars, leashes, holiday and birthday gifts. They also provide a Grooming Salon for dogs and cats and a state-of-the-art self serve wash for the do it yourselfer. A short drive north of downtown at 1020 Merrimon Ave. 828-271-4741
- Patton Avenue Pat Company – More than just a pet supply store, it is a pet destination. With a wide range of nutritious foods, American-made treats, environmentally conscious toys, and products from local artists and crafters, you are sure to find something great for your favorite cats and dogs. Afterwards, bring your pup around back to Patton Avenue Dog Park, a fenced-in off-leash play area for dogs to socialize and try out some new toys. 2 locations on Patton Avenue, one downtown and one in West Asheville.
- Funky Mutt is a fun and frisky downtown Asheville shop for dogs, cats and their human companions. The tiny space is packed with local goodies from potters, artists, bakers and craft people. Pick up some yummy treats, buy Fido a Hawaiian shirt and matching hemp collar, and grab a bag of organic cat nip for Miss Kitty. 30 North Lexington.